Thursday, January 24, 2013

l8r, g8r , by Lauren Myracle



I am currently reading l8r, g8r , by Lauren Myracle. This book has my skin crawling with curiosity. Zoegirl is acting quite strange with Doug. She is making Doug control her and that is perplexing to me. Zoegirl is sweet, and she cares about school, and to me she is the ‘nerd’ of the group because she is always on point with her work. 

Zoegirl is a timid girl. She doesn’t like speaking around people while other people stare, nor does she use foul language. But when she gets a bad grade she wants to kill herself. Zoegirl is in love with Doug and will do anything to stay with him. Doug tends to tell her things like she is a slave, or he would tell her mean stuff, for instance he told her “go get me something to drink”, or “I can’t hang out today, I’m chilling with my friends”. The sad thing is she seems addicted to his harsh words. She would sit there and say “ok, ok, ok” and she doesn’t stand up for herself. She needs to find herself, and realize that she is a special person. She does not need Doug to make her feel better. Zoegirl is actually acting like she is his ‘slave girl’, and that is just not cool.

If I was in her shoes I would let him have it… and I mean have it seriously. I would let him know that I am a human being just as he is. I will put a stop to his abusive behavior, and tell him, “No Doug, I’m not going to do that! You always control me and I’m tired of it”. She needs to show Doug who she really is… and not be afraid of him. Obviously Doug has a ‘big head’. He thinks it is all about him. But again he feels that way because she is allowing it by obeying and doing everything he says.

Also, zoegirl is acting so different with Doug than she normally will around her friends. I say this because, when maddie says something mean to her, or just make a joke, she instantly yells and get angry at maddie. But, with Doug if he said something mean to her, it’s a different story. She acts like its ‘okay’ and nothing ever happened. She panics around Doug, it almost seems that he would hurt or do something terrible to her… so why is she with him... She needs to get away from this relationship.

Some advice I would give zoegirl is ‘be a leader not a follower’.  She needs to tell Doug how he doesn’t need to control her, and how she is her own person. Zoegirl is scared, yet she is in love with Doug which is so complicated. She doesn’t want to hurt him, but what about herself. You have to love ‘yourself’ first before you can love someone else.  Zoegirl just needs to let him know she is not a dog and she has a life.

I hope as I continue to read this book, zoegirl will become a stronger character, and love and appreciate herself and not let Doug control her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment